Telecommunications Litigation and Regulatory Practice
From established telecommunications providers to technology entrepreneurs with innovative solutions in the telecom space, Innovista’s lawyers represent an extensive cross-section of companies. Our Telecommunications Practice includes policy advocacy, trial and appellate litigation, preparing and negotiating technology and telecommunications agreements, regulatory compliance, licensing and certification, and strategic planning.
We serve as trial and appellate counsel in a diverse array of telecommunications matters throughout the country, repeatedly taking on the largest entrenched incumbents. For judges and juries with limited telecommunications experience, we simplify the complex legal and regulatory landscape to explain why our clients should win. With administrative agencies, we can speak industry jargon, focusing on why law and policy support our client’s position. Our attorneys have acted as appellate counsel before the federal courts of appeals and lead trial counsel in a variety of federal and state judicial and administrative proceedings.
Representative matters handled by our attorneys:
- Successfully sought injunctive relief against a state utility commission to prevent the termination of a client’s authority to provide telecommunications services;
- Successfully defended consumer class actions filed pursuant to the Telephone Consumer Protection Act against text messaging service providers;
- Represented numerous competitive carriers in rulemaking proceedings before the Federal Communications Commission during proceedings involving access charge reform and the Open Internet;
- Counseled numerous new market entrants on regulatory requirements and tariff preparation to establish new service offerings.
- Represented large telecommunications company as national coordinating litigation counsel in program involving over 300 separate pieces of litigation and implemented system to manage litigation. Included over a dozen arbitration hearings and numerous trials in federal and state court and regulatory hearings.
- Represented large telecommunications company in dispute relating to divestiture of largest Internet backbone by order of European antitrust regulator. Case involved proceedings in domestic arbitration and federal district court and before the European Commission, Department of Justice, Federal Communications Commission, and US Congress.
- Represented satellite operator in extensive antitrust litigation involving allegations of group boycott and refusals to deal involving telecommunications companies in over 160 countries.
- Represented large telecommunications company in one of first "early resolution arbitrations" in DC District Court involving pay phone operators against various telecom providers.
- Represented cable music broadcaster, satellite communications company, and digital music service in involving various copyright royalty proceedings before the Copyright Royalty Board involving compulsory licenses for digital music services including two separate six-week hearings.
- Represented global telecommunications firm in case involving allegations of failure to disclose a credit ratings cliff with estimated exposure of $8 billion.
- Represented Internet backbone provider in a class action securities case with Williams Act issues arising from payments to executives in merger.
- Represented a telecommunications company in software licensing dispute.