I embraced the Innovista name for our firm because it combines two central themes of our law practice: innovation and vista – the long-term view. Working shoulder-to-shoulder with my clients, entrepreneurs typically in the telecom and related technology industries, I help them map out their strategies and overcome obstacles to achieve their goals. Before co-founding Innovista, I was a partner at a leading Washington, D.C. law firm. Trained as a litigator, my practice has grown into that of an outside general counsel as comfortable in a courtroom as the boardroom.
In the courtroom, I typically represent competitive carriers and technology and software companies who face legal challenges in the telecommunications, technology, and privacy-law sectors. I have litigated cases and counseled clients in a wide variety of complex disputes, including individual and class-action cases arising out of contract, tariff, interconnection agreement, commercial tort, consumer-protection, and privacy laws. I have tried cases in federal and state court, and have helped clients reach key victories through briefing at both the trial and appellate levels.
In the boardroom, I have worked with numerous emerging telecommunications companies, helping them navigate regulatory hurdles – including registration, compliance, and foreign-ownership issues. I also draft and negotiate a wide variety of contracts, such as telecommunications/ISP service agreements, software/platform/infrastructure-as-a-service agreements, MVNOs, and reseller and marketing agent agreements. I prepare and help implement regulatory-compliance plans, privacy policies, and develop channel strategies. Having litigated many of these issues, I know where the proverbial mines are and help my clients sidestep them.
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- US District Court, District of Maryland
- US District Court, Western District of Virginia
- US District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- US Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- University of Virginia School of Law, JD (Editorial Board, Virginia Journal of Law and Technology), 2003
- University of Pennsylvania, BA (magna cum laude), 1999
Recent Speaking Engagements
- "TCPA Take-Aways from 2017: Legal Insight to Help Prepare for Next Year," LiveVox Webinar, December 2017
- "Updates from the Bar: How the Courts are Affecting Customer-Contact Operations and Vice Versa," PACE TCPA Washington Summit, Washington D.C., September 2017
- "Updates from the Bar: TCPA Defense Counsel Discuss the Latest Trends in the Courts," PACE Webinar, July 2017
- "Privacy and Compliance Red Flags," PACE Webinar, October 2016
- "The FCC's Regulatory Framework for Unified Communications and VoIP," KazooCon, San Francisco, October 2016
- "Privacy and Compliance Red Flags," PACE TCPA Washington Summit, Washington D.C., September 2016
- "A Primer on Telecom Law for VoIP Providers," KazooCon, San Francisco, November 2014
DAVID CARTER, Member
A founding member of Innovista Law, David Carter has extensive experience with telecommunications and commercial litigation, including disputes involving contract or tariff breach, torts, employment, and consumer protection claims.
MARTIN CUNNIFF, Member
Member of Innovista Law, Martin Cunniff has over twenty-five years of litigation experience including serving as chair of commercial litigation for the largest litigation firm in the world. Much of his experience has been as lead counsel in high exposure cases involving complex procedural mechanisms such as class actions.
ERNESTO MENDIETA, Foreign Legal Consultant
Ernesto Mendieta has five years of telecommunications and corporate law experience working as a Senior Associate for a top telecommunications law firm in Mexico City. He completed his LL.M. at Georgetown University, with an emphasis on U.S. and International Communications Law.
JOHN NELSON, Associate
Previously serving as the firm’s intern and summer associate, John joined Innovista Law as an Associate in 2017. This experience, along with his educational background in administrative law and regulatory compliance, has allowed him to quickly familiarize himself with various areas of telecommunications law, policy, and litigation.
Interested in practicing law in a collaborative environment where lawyers have a direct impact on their clients’ success? careers >>