International Telecommunications Practice
As our clients know, telecommunications and information technologies are constantly evolving. These industries now create opportunities that are not limited by state or national borders. On the contrary, they benefit those who adopt a comprehensive national and international approach.
In order to provide a complete service for clients seeking new opportunities for growth, we counsel US businesses with legal, corporate, transactional and regulatory compliance for investment in Mexico and Latin America. Innovista’s lawyers have aided US companies in the process of establishing themselves in Mexico and obtaining the necessary licenses and registries to operate as telecommunications services providers, ISPs, MVNOs, resellers and e-commerce providers.
Likewise, through the experience and contacts acquired while dealing with numerous international hurdles, Innovista is perfectly suited to represent foreign carriers engaging or entering the US telecom market.
Representative matters handled by our attorneys:
- Counseled one of the world’s largest backbone providers during their corporate restructure in Latin America, adapting to the ongoing market opening and elimination of foreign investment limitations for telecommunications services providers in some of the countries of the region.
- Successfully counseled one of the world’s largest backbone providers for their regulatory compliance in Mexico, including obtaining an authorization by the regulator to modify its license and avoid the unnecessary heavy regulatory framework generally applicable for telephony services that was originally intended by the regulator, allowing the company to efficiently provide its VoIP services.
- Advised one of Latin America’s most important broadcasting, cable and content companies regarding its legal compliance with the rights-of-way used by its public telecommunications network.
- Advised an industry leading company for its incorporation and start of business in Mexico as the first provider of in-flight broadband Internet access services in the country.
- Successfully represented foreign investors during their establishment in Latin America and obtained the necessary licenses to operate as an MVNO in Mexico and achieved the second largest market share for an MVNO in the country.
- Counseled one of the biggest technology and white goods manufacturers in the world during the public bid before the Mexican Government for the procurement of 12.6 million digital televisions intended to facilitate the transition to digital terrestrial television in the country.
- Advised foreign telecommunications providers on obtaining Section 214 authorization to operate in the United States.