I became a lawyer because I wanted to use my strategic abilities to help others solve problems; I remain a lawyer because of the satisfaction of working with clients who are on the cutting edge of innovation and shaping the world around them. And that's why I founded Innovista Law.
A primary focus of my practice is representing competitive telecommunications carriers. My work on behalf of carriers has run the gamut, but often involves companies that are challenging established incumbents through new service offerings or business models. These disputes can often be multi-pronged, involving challenges in federal and state courts, as well as before the Federal Communications Commission and state regulatory agencies. They require a deep understanding of litigation strategy and regulatory policymaking as well as technical knowledge. I have helped give voice to competitive carriers on issues of national importance, including representing national trade associations on issues involving the regulation of the open Internet and on access charge reform. I am a founder of the TCPA Defense Force and have represented several platform providers and brands in complying with the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) or defending claims brought under the TCPA.
My focus on telecommunications counseling and litigation is an outgrowth of my experience and training as a commercial litigator for at a leading AmLaw 100 firm where I litigated a wide array of commercial disputes. I continue to represent select clients in resolving or litigating business disputes, including claims regarding fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of operating agreements.
Working with clients that are at the intersection of technology and social innovation is a personal passion. In this arena, I worked the U.S. Department of State on projects in Brazil, led a national conference with the Corporation on National and Community Service exploring how technology fuels social impact, worked with companies that are bringing innovative broadband services to the most rural parts of our country, and collaborated with the nation’s leading producer of educational and information television programming to impact lives through technology. I previously chaired the board of social innovation at George Mason University and taught in a Master's program at Pepperdine University.
I serve or have served as lead counsel in a number of litigation matters, including the following recent matters:
- Representation of U.S. investors in a Mexican telecommunications company in claims valued at nearly $500 million brought under Chapter 11 of NAFTA
- Representation of competitive telecommunications carriers in claims against long-distance carriers for unpaid intercarrier compensation
- Representation of a minority member of an LLC in claims against the LLC and its directors for breach of operating agreement, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty
- Representation of managing members of an LLC in claims against a minority member for breach of the duty of loyalty and violation of non-compete provisions, resulting in a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction
- Representation of the CEO of a foreign subsidiary against the international parent company for claims of breach of employment contract and shareholder agreement
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- US District Court, Western District of Michigan
- US Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- William & Mary Law School, JD (William and Mary Bill of Rights Journal), 2006
- The College of William & Mary, BA, Public Policy, 2001
Recent Speaking Engagements
- "TCPA Compliance Burden Amidst Increased Litigation: Key Developments You Should Know," The Knowledge Group Webinar, November 2017
MARTIN CUNNIFF, Member
Member of Innovista Law, Martin Cunniff has over twenty-five years of litigation experience including serving as chair of commercial litigation for the largest litigation firm in the world. Much of his experience has been as lead counsel in high exposure cases involving complex procedural mechanisms such as class actions.
ERNESTO MENDIETA, Foreign Legal Consultant
Ernesto Mendieta has five years of telecommunications and corporate law experience working as a Senior Associate for a top telecommunications law firm in Mexico City. He completed his LL.M. at Georgetown University, with an emphasis on U.S. and International Communications Law.
JOHN NELSON, Associate
John Nelson joined Innovista Law in September 2017 after completing his J.D. cum laude at the William & Mary School of Law and served as Senior Notes Editor on the William & Mary Law Review. John's practice has an emphasis on the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
Interested in practicing law in a collaborative environment where lawyers have a direct impact on their clients’ success? careers >>